Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Working My First Sample Sale


I was stationed in the Lobby of the tower in order to mandate the guest list of fashion gods, also known as Editors. As they lined up for the 9:30 sale I thought to myself "This is some crucial semi-networking time". I made it a point to introduce myself where appropriate provide a swift transition from checking in to hitting the sales floor of the sample sale.

Being an intern your not at the top of the priority list but eloquence and organization will often get you noticed. Being in charge of "the list" gave me the power to see who these editors were face to face. I engaged them with small talk about the weather and jokes about the rush that comes with some sample sales. Like the fights that were created for films like 'Confessions of a Shopoholic". I was doing it! And without even trying...I made them smile and a few even laughed and took the time to wish me look with my endeavors as they left the building. To think that I was once a shy girl.

A great quality to have as an intern is pride. Now I don't mean the kind of pride that causes you to be a complete jerk but the kind that is noticed in everything you do around the office. It's seen in the precision that you possess when sending out samples or calling the messenger center to check on a package. Have pride in your work and you'll begin to see the trust that your supervisors develop in your abilities. Some might say that being the door woman at a sample sale isn't a glamorous role. I would have to say that if your going into PR for the glamour...maybe you should choose another career.

My time interning has always been hard work and justly so. You have to put in your time and realize that everyone over you has once been where you are now and no one can respect someone who hasn't paid their dues. From the moment I entered the doors of my last internship I have enjoyed every moment. From the mistakes to this sample sale. Today was a good day! Remember that your dreams are attainable if your willing to get your hands dirty.





No comments:

Post a Comment